Annapolis, MD (Arundel News Network) – Due to the excessive cold that will be in the area for the next few days the County has opened up warming shelters. These shelters are being opened from January 29 through Sunday February 2.
Warming centers will be open from 6:00 p.m. Tuesday until 9:00 a.m. on Sunday. County libraries are going to be open from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. through Thursday January 31. On Friday they will be opened from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The library locations are as follows:
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
The County also announced that the Department of Aging and Disabilities will designate the following Senior Centers as warming centers from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. from Wednesday through Friday.
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center: 202 Hammonds Lane Brooklyn Park
- O’Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
In addition to the above locations each Police District has a Community Rooms which will be a warming center from January 29 at 6:00 p.m. to February 2 at 9:00 a.m.
- Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Residents who need transportation to any warming center should call the Office of Transportation from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 410-222-0022.
County Executive Pittman has issued a Severe Weather Animal Alert per
§ 12-4-809 of the Anne Arundel County Code.
Anne Arundel County Officials have shared the following tips to help residents cope with winter conditions outside:
- Layer your clothing to have more flexibility and control over how warm you stay. Avoid cotton clothing for winter activities.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Most hypothermia cases occur due to an unexpected change in the weather or temperature.
- Wear a warm hat; up to 50 percent of body heat is lost through the head.
- Avoid getting wet when the temperature dips.
- Wear waterproof boots or shoes to keep your feet dry.
- Drink plenty of water. Avoid nicotine, caffeine, and alcohol.