Glen Burnie Mall being remodeled

Glen Burnie, Maryland (Arundel News Network) – Here are some photographs of a portion of the Glen Burnie Mall being torn down. Reports have stated that a bowling alley and a movie theater will be built at the new ‘remodeled’ mall.

The Centre at Glen Burnie was opened in 1963 as the Glen Burnie Mall and then in 2018 as a shopping center. It has about 15 stores and 4 Anchor stores; Target, Office Depot, Famous Footwear and Ollies. Toys-R-Us was another anchor store but closed in July 2018 due to Bankruptcy. H.H. Greg was also another anchor store but left in 2017 due to bankruptcy filings.

Tell us your memories of the mall

Photographs taken by Craig Urban

Centre of Glen Burnie
Centre of Glen Burnie

19 thoughts on “Glen Burnie Mall being remodeled

• March 10, 2019 at 11:52 am

I think it”s a waste of time putting a bowling ally and movie theater there

• March 10, 2019 at 11:26 pm

Monkey Wards! I worked at Montgomery Wards when it was the main anchor in the ” bustling” mall.

• March 11, 2019 at 3:27 am

My first job was at the Glen Bunie Mall at Montgomery Wards after graduating from Brooklyn Park High School . Back then the mall was very busy with lots of clothing stores. Since it was my first job it was easy for me to take a bus from my home just off of Ritchie Highway to the mall. I felt lucky to have the mall s close. I excited that some new additions are planned for the mall considering the area around the mall has grown from what was around there back in 1965. Can wait to see the new additions to the mall.

• March 11, 2019 at 7:22 am

Please back up that statement because the Mall is dying. I think it’s a great way to bring more people.

• March 11, 2019 at 3:45 am

I think it’s a great idea and it will be great for retail and entertainment.

• March 11, 2019 at 4:29 am

I remember when this mall was prosperous. I loved shopping there. No to the bowling alley & theater, 2 bowlings alleys
    close by, dont know if still open. One right up the road across from MVA closed

• March 15, 2019 at 12:06 am

Closed about 5 years ago they went out of business in the middle of the night boarded up we went to go to bowl that next Saturday it was gone

• March 11, 2019 at 7:05 am

I have fond memories of Glen Burnie mall. Hung out there a lot in high school, mid 70s to early 80s. I saw Amityville Horror when the mall had a movie theater. Lots of great memories!!

• March 11, 2019 at 8:13 am

I have so many memories of the Glen Burnie Mall. I’m 36 years old now. I remember seeing Santa Claus there in front of Toys R Us. Looking at Sega games at Toys R Us & Best Buy before they moved across Ritchie Highway. Getting my hair cut at Hair 2000. During the late 90’s I would play at the arcade & buy cassette tapes at Montgomery Wards. Me & my grandfather would eat lunch at the Lamppost Restaurant that was in the middle of the mall next to Piercing Pagoda. I remember browsing through magazines at the bookstore on the end right where currently the shoe store is. I could go on & on honestly.

• March 11, 2019 at 9:25 am

My family moved to Glen Burnie when I was a small child in 1961 and stayed there until the 1980’s so how well I remember the “mall”. All my cloths came from Maryann’s I had lunch at the counter in GCMurphy on Sat. with my mom saw The Sound of Music at the theater went to Wendy Ward charm school and best of all my Dad taught me to drive in the parking lot on Sundays when all the stores were closed. Wonderful memories and a wonderful town to grow up in!

• March 11, 2019 at 10:21 am

I hope they intend to improve the roads and the traffic pattern, it is a mess.

• March 11, 2019 at 10:47 am

When you say the roads, I am guessing you are referring to Route 2? If so that is a state route as they would have to do any improvements to that while the property where the Centre is, is private property.

• March 11, 2019 at 11:12 am

I had my first job there at Bond Furniture Store dusting and vacuuming. I walked in one day and asked for work. They tried me out and then hired me. (I think it might have been under the table though!) No pun intended.

• March 11, 2019 at 12:59 pm

It’s great they are bringing the Glen Burnie mall back to life. I have many good memories there. Thank u

• March 11, 2019 at 1:57 pm

I loved Maryanns clothing store and the Lamp Post restaurant in the middle of the mall. Montgomery Wards was nice too. No to movie theater there are enough.

• March 11, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Probably a good idea to put in something like a bowling alley. That is one thing Amazon can not compete with!

• March 12, 2019 at 7:31 am

There are alway two other bowling alleys one mile north and south of this location on the same road. How is another one any better?

• March 12, 2019 at 3:54 pm

I spent a lot of my teen years hanging out there, working there! Sad to see it go! Looking forward to more memories with my child!

• March 13, 2019 at 2:41 pm

They used to have a theater in there. I remember the Lamp Post restaurant and the Record Bar where I used to get LP’s.