GLEN BURNIE, Md (ANN). – Maryland State Police are investigating a three-vehicle crash that killed one person and injured at least two others early this morning in Anne Arundel County.
Shortly before 1:30 a.m., troopers from the Maryland State Police Glen Burnie Barrack responded to westbound Maryland Route 195 Metropolitan Boulevard on the Patapsco River Bridge in Anne Arundel County on a report of a multi-vehicle crash.
According to a preliminary investigation, a Toyota Rav 4, being driven by Brandon Hinkley, 34, of Jessup, Maryland, was traveling eastbound in the westbound lanes of I-195. At the same time, a Nissan Quest and Mazda CX-5 were traveling westbound and adjacent to one another on I-195.
The driver of the Mazda, David Gerecht, 21, of Rockville, Maryland, swerved to avoid the Toyota. The Toyota then crashed head-on into the Nissan and struck the driver’s rear side of the Mazda.
The passenger of the Nissan, a male whose identity is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, was declared deceased at the scene by the Anne Arundel County Fire Department. The driver of the Nissan, a 46-year-old man from Woodbridge, Virginia, along with Hinkley, were taken by ambulance to Shock Trauma in Baltimore for treatment of their injuries. Gerecht, along with his two passengers, were treated at the scene.
The Maryland State Police CRASH Team is investigating this case. Troopers consulted this morning with the Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney’s Office regarding charges. An arrest warrant has been issued for Hinkley, who will face the following charges once he is released from the hospital:
- Criminal negligent manslaughter
- Homicide by motor vehicle under the influence
- Homicide by motor vehicle under the influence per se
- Homicide by motor vehicle impaired by alcohol
- Life threatening injury by motor vehicle under the influence
- Life threatening injury by motor vehicle under the influence per se
- Life threatening injury by motor vehicle while impaired
- Driving a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol
- Driving a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol per se
- Driving a vehicle while impaired by alcohol
- Driving the wrong direction on a one-way road
The investigation is ongoing…